WEEK 1: TWO CULTURES

Upon reflecting on the idea of two cultures in the readings, I have come to realize how relevant such division exists in my life. As described in lecture and the readings, the idea of two cultures, in particular those of the natural sciences and literary intellect, was first introduced in a lecture by C.P. Snow in 1959.


Being a math major and a part of the “natural sciences”, I have seen the two cultures both physically in UCLA's placement of the literary and humanity departments in north campus and of the natural sciences in south campus and socially in various social media outlets, such as the popular UCLA student Facebook page,  "UCLA Memes for Sick AF Tweens". On this page, students depict the stark contrast between the two cultures through their posting of original images that satirize the differences between students of the natural sciences and arts.


Map of UCLA Campus.
http://test.cores.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/map_full_091710.gif
UCLA students regularly post comical images displaying the division between north and south campus majors.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1428660360537600&set=gm.255584701579757&type=3&theater


In addition to the cultures described by C.P. Snow, I have felt a divide in my cultural identity. Having Filipino immigrant parents, throughout my adolescence I have struggled with honoring my Filipino heritage and integrating into American culture as I grew up in a predominantly White community. Upon attending UCLA, I feel that I have had the resources and support from peers through my affiliation with the club, Samahang Pilipino. As mentioned in the article, “Toward a Third Culture: Being in between”, I feel that my involvement in Samahang Pilipino is the “Third Culture” that hybridizes my identity as a Filipino and as an American.

https://www.facebook.com/ucla.samahang/
Prior to this unit, I had not think much of the divide. In C.P. Snow’s words, I believed that my literary counterparts were “lacking in foresight...anxious to restrict both art and thought to the existential moment” (Snow 6). This was only perpetuated with the posts I saw on the UCLA meme page. In retrospect, I have come to realize how important some “third culture” is for each culture to begin to understand and respect each other. As such, I think that technology can bridge the gap. Looking back at the UCLA meme page, the images posted by students, at first glance, may hurt the divide, but in actuality, may help. By allowing the cultures’ future generations interact and see what each side is like, technology builds the platform for positive communication and forum.


Works Cited

"Academy EBriefings." A Dangerous Divide | The New York Academy of Sciences. The New York Academy of Sciences, n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2017. <http://www.nyas.org/Publications/Ebriefings/Detail.aspx?cid=74e271bd-4ba6-47cd-8f0a-add2ef8234cd>.


Kelly, Kevin. "The Third Culture." Science. American Association for the Advancement of Science, 13 Feb. 1998.Web. 10 Apr. 2017. <http://science.sciencemag.org/content/279/5353/992.full>.


Snow, Charles P. The Two Cultures a Second Look: An Expanded Version of the Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1974. Print.


Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.

Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001): 121-125. Print.





Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your blog post. It is very interesting to read about the parallels you drew between the two cultures within academia and the two cultures that exist within your social affiliations.

    I also agree with your discussion about the UCLA Memes page. The memes posted on that page often reflect a stark and stereotypical difference between the two cultures that exist on our campus. However, I think it is interesting to point out that meme's themselves are a combination of graphic design and literary word play with technology. Even when we are pointing out the differences between our two cultures, we are doing it in a way that brings us together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 2: MATH + ART

WEEK 3: ROBOTICS + ART

WEEK 8: NANOTECH+ART